Thursday, April 1, 2010

An Interview With A 'Nigerian Prince'



Once I had spent some time as a “foot soldier” (* sending out initial approaches and passing serious victims to other scammers) I was promoted to act as either a barrister, shipping agent or bank official. In the early days I had a supervisor who would read my emails and suggest responses, then I was left to do it myself. I had lots of different documents that I would use to convince the victim that I was genuine, including photographs of an official looking man in an office, fake ID and storage manifests, bank statements showing the money, whatever would best convince the victim that I, and the money, was real. I think the English term is to “worm my way” into their trust, taking it slowly and carefully so I didn’t scare them away by asking for too much money too soon.

If you've ever sold something on Craiglist chances are good you've received an e-mail from a Prince saying that he desperately needs to transfer $1,000,000 to a trusted American. One of the guys over at Scam-Detective had a chance to do an interview with a person involved in this crazy scheme. If you want to know who's behind all these wacky e-mails, check out all three parts of the interview through these links: part 1, part 2, part 3.

No comments: