Monday, November 16, 2009

Target Practice




As I neared him, he took something out of his pocket and held it out to me, all the while looking over my head and past me. My hand went out, instinctively, to take what he was offering, even before I knew what it was. This was the man I trusted, and looked up to – he was the first adult male with whom I identified, other than my father. Without looking directly at me he pressed the object into my hand, and I took it without thinking or comment. Still avoiding any direct eye contact, he said something indistinct about me using it for target practice. He turned away, went around the front of the station wagon, and followed his wife into the house without unloading the family luggage. I was holding in my hands a loaded, 38 caliber police revolver.

Just thought I'd update and add another to the 'If You Like To Read' series. If you're strapped for time you only really need to read part two, part one gives you more background.

Read Part One here and Part Two here.

Previous stories here

If you aren't familiar with the If You Like To Read series, click here for some quick background.

No comments: