Friday, April 10, 2009

Skittles Doesn't Care

Have you ever assumed everyone knew something so you decided not to share it? If you have, stop, and if you haven't, don't do it. I admit, I do it all the time, mostly, because I worry too much about what people think.

I don't post half as much stuff on here, because I feel like people familiar with advertising news will be like "this isn't special" or "psh, that's old news" etc. etc. Anyways, I was in class on Thursday, and I started talking about Skittles' new concept page that paired with Twitter & Facebook. No one had any idea what I was talking about.

I had assumed that everyone had read about it already so I didn't post it up on here. From now on I'll post stuff regardless of what I think people might be thinking about stuff I put up (confusing I know). Now onto the topic at hand:

Basically, Skittles ditched the standard gameplan of a flash-based microsite filled with useless junk (games, downloads etc) that nobody wants. Go to Skittles.com. They paired their site with twitter's search page. It automatically gives an unfiltered list of everything that people have said about Skittles. In the top right corner there are links for info about the product, contact, and a link to their facebook page.

I think BMorrisey put it nicely:

What’s more interesting to me is what Skittles might mean for the future of the brand microsite. I confess that I have a long-held skepticism for nearly all microsites. They seem outdated and mostly pointless. Their shortcomings are made all the more obvious at a time of social media. For the past several weeks, I’ve been neck-deep in submissions for digital agency report cards. The product microsites are nearly uniformly terrible. I keep asking myself why I’d want to go there to play that Flash advergame, upload my photo on a snowflake, get immersive with rum. I simply don’t get it.

EDIT: read more interesting stuff about it here at Logic+Emotion

No comments: