Thursday, September 24, 2009

How To Talk

It doesn't make me too happy to announce this, but I've always had a problem cutting people off. I tend to get really excited during conversations and I want to say everything on my mind. I've been trying to work on it so I'm always open to conversation tips. Michael Arrington from TechCrunch has a great article about how to approach people during conferences/events. Most of it seems like common sense, but there's always room for improvement. Here's an excerpt:

When you approach someone, don’t assume they know you even if they do (...) all they see is a face in front of them, a thrust out hand and a “hello!” (...)

Instead [try and] say “Hey Bob, It’s Mike from TechCrunch, good to see you again” slowly and clearly. You’ve just told them your name, where you work, and the fact that you’ve previously met. Trust me, they are thankful for all that information, and everything will go smoothly from there.

If you get someone’s business card, never call them. That mobile phone number isn’t for you, the person who just met them. A random call to their cell phone is never welcome. Send an email.


You can read the full article here

No comments: